Why can't the panning tool work in Video Object Detection and Tracking?

Issue

I’m currently labelling a bunch of videos with the Video Object Detection and Tracking template, and I appreciate the additional precision the Zoom tool provides, but the “ZoomPanTool” from the Image template is not available, and when zooming close to the edge of a frame, the Zoom tool does NOT go “out of bounds”, so I cannot center the edge of a frame in the editor, and I find it VERY annoying.

What I have difficulty understanding is, considering a video frame is basically an image, why the Video’s Zoom tool behaves differently from the Image’s Zoom tool. Couldn’t the same tool be used in both templates?

I’d gladly implement this feature in the Video OD&T’s tools. However, I don’t have a lot of experience in development, let alone web development, and this is my first exposure to React, so I find it quite difficult to understand how the code works.

Setup

Using Docker to run the application.

• Label Studio Docker Image: 20240711.125956-ls-release-1-13-0-d11e5ebf6

Could you please record a video about this issue?

Here is a video where I try to:

1. Center the frame on the vehicle located at the edge of the screen with the Zoom tool;
  2. Pan the frame to do (1).

Since there is no option to select the panning tool, I try moving the frame with:

1. Left click => draws a rectangle;
  2. Right click => draws a rectangle;
  3. Middle click => draws a rectangle.

N.B. I’m a new user, so I can’t upload attachments, so here is the link to the video.

The shortcuts tab does not show the panning tool as available.

Update: I changed the permisisons of the video (sorry…)

Hi, have you tried using shift+drag?

Yes, I have. I also tried:

• ctrl + drag;
  • ctrl + shift + drag;
  • alt + drag;
  • alt + shift + drag;
  • even ctrl + alt + shift + drag.

Maybe it’s because I’m on Windows? I’ll give it a try with Linux.

I works on Linux (Debian 12), though it’s not perfect (the pan does not allow to move outside the image; edges can’t be move to the center of editor).

I’ll investigate for Windows.

@makseq Ctrl + drag (left, right, middle) works on Windows (unsurprisingly). Apparently it was the one combination I didn’t try.

Is there a reason why the panning tool can’t pan move “out of bounds”?